Pages

Saturday, November 27, 2010

"The Freelance Writer's Bible" By David Trottier



I am following the words of author David Trottier because he has made his living as a freelance writer and writing teacher since 1988.  He may not be aware of it, but he is now my writing mentor.

I graduated from Portland State College in 1968 in Political Science and Economics.  I have no MFA and no formal education in creative writing aside from poetry classes here in Portland from Doug Marx.  I am an avid reader and have been since sixth grade when my teacher, the late Evelyn Dickson, encouraged our class to read.  Every time we read a book and completed a book report we received a gold star.  Most had enough gold stars to stretch about 12 inches along the classroom .  Robert Schuyler and I had gold stars that stretched from one corner of the classroom to the next corner.  We were always reading something.

I started blogging in 2004 with Mover Mike and added Landfair Furniture (Blog) in March, 2005.  The furniture blog was one of the first in the country to use blogging as an inexpensive marketing tool.  One day I received a call from Susan Dickenson, Retail Editor, Home Accents Today.  She wanted to know if I would like to write a blog for the online magazine.  Home Accents Today agreed to pay me $500 a month plus a share of the ad revenues if I would write a minimum of 12 posts a month.  So began The Landfair Retail Focus in July, 2007.  That blog was oriented to retailers of accessories and home accents written from a retailer's perspective.  I started with zero traffic and by the time the blog was cancelled in March, 2010, I was getting 10,000 and 12,000 visitors a month.

I miss the $500 to $600 a month.  

Trottier writes, "You are a writer if you write."  I love writing. I am constantly amazed at the magic that is picked up by my brain and flows through my fingertips onto the printed page. Now to be a successful writer, to supplement my income, Trottier asks how much time I'm willing to commit to write for the next 30 days.  I am willing to commit five hours a day, seven days a week to writing.

Then  Trottier writes, "The firstborn child of discipline is persistence. ...Persistence is more important than talent."  I believe I have proven persistence by being a prolific blogger.for over six years.

Tomorrow we discuss the "Safe Harbor."

Mike Landfair
The Freelance Writer
Follow me on Facebook at: facebook.com/mike.landfair.
Follow me on Twitter, too! https://twitter.com/#!/Movermike

No comments:

Post a Comment