Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My Legacy Exercise



Day Four:

Today, in the writing project, imagine what people will say at your funeral; how do you want to be remembered;  who do you want to remember you; what will be your greatest accomplishments?  Dave Trottier of "The Freelance Writer's Bible" suggest the exercise be done as freewriting for 10-15 minutes.

The older I get, I'm soon to be 67, the more I wonder how I want my funeral conducted, what music should play, do I want burial or cremation?  I've been to funerals laterly for friends and neighbors and I'm always amazed at how good the deceased was.  Pure, altruistic, loving, perfect father and husband, yada, yada.  I can never live up to all that sugar.  I weant to be cremated and my ashes scattered in the warm spots of Mexico,  What will people say?  He saw things in black and white, no gray.  Onece he decided on something he would defend the idea vigorously, BUT he would listen to your side, however he would not put up with faulty pemises or reasoning.  he was a conscious conservative in economics and liberal in social policies.  He didn't care if you were gay or straight, black or white.  He couldn't staND LIBERAL ECONOMIC POLICIES AND WHEN OVER WHELMED WITH SUCH NONSENSE WOULD FORCEFULLY SAY, LET'S GET OUT OF HERE, MORE THAN ONCE.

He WANTS TO BE REMEMBERED AS SOBER ON THE DAY HE DIED, A CHRISTIAN, BELIEVING (IN) A HIGHER POWER HE CALLED GOD.  hE BELIEVED THAT WE ARE ALL CONNECTED, BELIEVED IN REINCARNATIUON AND LOVED BEAUTIFUL WOMEN AND WAS CLEARLY CRAZY ABOUT BEVERLY.

dESPITE ALL HIS FLAWS, HE WAS VERY PROUD OF HIS TWO DAY\UGHTERS gILYN AND eRICA, LOVED HIS DOG, WAS A SENTIMENTAL GUY AND BELIEVED NO ONE EVER LOVED HIM LIKE bEVERLY

wHAT DID HE ACCOMPLISH? hE HELPED SECURE HIS FAMILY'S FINANCIAL(FUTURE) BY BUYING GOLD AND SILVER, hE WAS A PUBLISHED WRITER AND pOET, pOTTER, INLINE SKATER, AND GOLFED IN THE 80S.  rEALLY DON'T THINK I'VE ACCOPLISHED MUCH.  pROBABLY FEEL A LITTLE TRAPPED IN THIS pORTLAND LIFE and want to travel and Live where it's warm  Would like to help kids on the bus to be better drivers using the Smith system.

Michael loved to tell stories appropriate to the occasion, many off color loved to laugh and loved to needle those he loved.  He was curious and an avid reader, Loved a good debate. cOULD SING LIKE ELVIS.
Right now I'm not sure what that accomplished.  I have edited the above freewriting for typos to make the writing understandable.  What does come out is that I have doubts about how I will be remembered and doubts about what I have accomplished in 66 years.

Tomorrow's exercise: a letter to a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment